Here is a map of our journey along the Singapore River.
©2011 Yahoo Maps
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
The Anderson Bridge was finished in 1910, and was named after the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir John Anderson. It was built to replace the usually overcrowded Cavenagh Bridge that is just further upstream. Because of increase in trade in the late 1800s and early 1900s, Cavenagh Bridge could not take the heavy traffic coming in, and thus, the new bridge was made years later. During the Japanese Occupation of Singapore, severed heads of criminals were strung on poles and placed on the bridge for all to see, so as to discourage people from committing crimes.
Picture: A picturesque view of the River taken from Anderson Bridge.
Posted by Zhi Chao at 4:14 AM
This was the site where Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore, was thought to have landed. This is located on the north bank of the Singapore River. A white marble statue of Raffles stands on this spot, though before this, the statue was made of bronze. However, the latter was moved to a site in the front of Victoria Concert Hall.
Picture: THE statue of Raffles found at Raffles Landing Site
Posted by Zhi Chao at 4:09 AM
Elgin Bridge links North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road. Its history is slightly unknown. It was named after Lord Elgin, the Governor General of India after it was constructed in 1929. But, the bridge had existed long before this. On the spot this bridge lay, in 1819, there was another bridge that had come before it. This bridge was the only bridge that linked the two banks of the Singapore River, and the bridge had no name, though many nicknamed it "Monkey Bridge" as it was very narrow and crossing it was difficult if there were people already on it.
Picture: Elgin Bridge from the bank along Singapore River
Posted by Zhi Chao at 4:00 AM
Named after its designer, George Coleman, this bridge links two banks of the Singapore River, as well as two roads, Hill Street, and New Bridge Road. Mr.Coleman was Singapore's very first architect(despite not being born in Singapore), and he was the Superintendent of Public Works then in Singapore. He designed the first version of the bridge and the bridge was made in 1840. It was referred to as the New Bridge by many, which led to the road south of the road being known as "New Bridge Road".
Picture: Plaque on Coleman Bridge
Posted by Zhi Chao at 3:46 AM